June Book Arrivals

By Adam Roberts | June 16, 2007
Categories: Book News

Earlier this week my author copies of Land of the Headless arrived at the house; I unpacked them from their box and stacked them on the table and they look as handsome in the towering mass as they do individually.

And this morning, the postman rang the doorbell to hand-over a smaller parcel, containing five copies of Sternensturm:

Just as handsome, no?  That's the new translation of Polystom, you see.  Mein maschinell übersetzter Deutscher übersetztes Deutsche ist unzulänglich, meine Aufregung und Freude auszudrücken, wie Sie sehen können.

Tags:

11 Responses to “June Book Arrivals”

1. Rainer Skupsch Says:
    June 17th, 2007 at 10:10 am

Your software did quite a good job with that German sentence. The only mistake it made was to take the "German" in your original English sentence for a person instead of a language. So if you replace "uebersetzter Deutscher" by "uebersetztes Deutsch", the translation will be perfect. (I wrote those few German words without 'Umlaute' because I did not know whether your software can cope with them.)

2. AdamR Says:
    July 4th, 2007 at 10:20 am

Rainer, thank you very much.

3. AdamR Says:
    July 4th, 2007 at 11:04 am

...and sorry for taking so long to approve your comment; still getting used to that aspect of WordPressage.

4. Roger Indinger Says:
    November 4th, 2007 at 7:20 pm

Hello Adam,

i just read your book (german translation) and wanted to visit your website http://www.polystom.com. It vanished in February this year. Now it's an poor advertisement portal.

Did you preserve the material elsewhere? Your book ist quite new on the german market and perhaps there are more peole eager to have a look.

I found a link (http://adamroberts.com/writing.....-polystom/) to the preserverd material but it's dead.

Many greetings from germany,

Roger Indinger

5. AdamR Says:
    November 5th, 2007 at 1:48 pm

Hi Roger. Thanks for dropping by. You're right; when Polystom was first published in the UK I bought the rights to polystom.com and posted a variety of stuff there; but since then I've let it slide. I'll look into what happened to the material ... it should be around somewhere.

6. Roger Indinger Says:
    November 8th, 2007 at 8:53 pm

Hello Adam,

looking up the material would be very kind of you.

I'll be back. ;)

7. Roger Indinger Says:
    December 3rd, 2007 at 1:20 am

Hello Adam,

did you find anything?

8. AdamR Says:
    December 4th, 2007 at 6:09 pm

I'm afraid it all seems to have vanished. It was on an old laptop that no longer functions; and I can't seem to locate it anywhere else. I'm sorry about that: although you're not missing much.

9. Roger Indinger Says:
    December 16th, 2007 at 11:07 pm

Ok.

10. A.S. Says:
    January 3rd, 2008 at 1:46 pm

Dr Roberts, Mr Indinger, very little is ever lost on the Internet! If either of you are still interested in retrieving the old material from the Polystom website, visit the Wayback Machine at http://www.archive.org/index.php, type in the old URL http://www.polystom.com, and click on the "Take Me Back" button. You will be presented with a list of dates at which the site was archived. The last date at which the page still had the original contents is Sep 26, 2004, so if you click on the corresponding link, you will find the entire page preserved for eternity!

PS. Dr Roberts, I really like your books.

11. AdamR Says:
    January 4th, 2008 at 12:03 am

Thanks, A.S.; and I'm chuffed you like what I write.

Comments