Have yourself a zomberific Christmas

By Adam Roberts | July 3, 2009
Categories: Book News

iamscrooge13

Christmas? I know, I know; we're only just into July. It went like this:

ZOMBIE EDITOR: We here at Zombie Publishing feel there aren't enough zombies in literature today. BRAAAAAIII...
ME: I see.
ZOMBIE EDITOR: ...IIINNNS! and accordingly we were wondering if you might BRAAAAAIIIINSS! write us a little stocking-filler book for the Christmas market; Dickens's A Christmas Carol, with added Zombies. Yes?
ME: By all means. Given that this won't be out until Christmas, and that Christmas is a long long way away, when will you need me to deliver the manuscript?
ZOMBIE EDITOR: MAAAAAAAAAY!
ME: I'd better get cracking then.
ZOMBIE EDITOR: Do you mean cracking in the sense of cracking open peoples' skulls in order to get at their BRAAAAIIINS? Or in the sense of moving swiftly along with the writing, hilarity and drawing the illustrations?
ME: The latter.
ZOMBIE EDITOR: Fair enough.

And here's the cover. I particularly like the bloodstained thumbprints.

6 Responses to “Have yourself a zomberific Christmas”

1. Ian Sales Says:
    July 3rd, 2009 at 8:48 pm

You sir, are a tart.

(Damn. How am I supposed to punctuate that? Is there a comma? Where does it go?)

July 3rd, 2009 at 9:03 pm

A zombie tart. Unless you were typing 'you, sir, are astarte' and your finger slipped? Could happen. As in 'you, sir, are Astarte, Queen of Heav'n, with crescent Horns;/to whose bright Image nightly by the Moon/Sidonian Virgins pay their Vows and Songs.'

Was that, by any chance, what you were intending to type?

3. Ian Sales Says:
    July 3rd, 2009 at 9:23 pm

On reflection, or perhaps even cogitation, it may well have been: you, sir, are aspartame. Um, maybe not. Perhaps it was: you, sir, are a start... of a new literary sub-genre. Or it might have even been: you, sir, are atar, or Zoroastrian "burning and unburning fire", not to be confused with attar, which is an essential oil extracted from the petals of roses. I confuse myself now.

4. Harlequin Says:
    July 4th, 2009 at 3:42 pm

I suppose the crucial question here is what type of zombie have you gone for? The traditional Romero style (Homo Necrolentulus), or the 28 Days Later infected variety? And moreover, how effective a brain-shield is a top hat?

July 5th, 2009 at 12:03 pm

Mine are the slow, stumbly, relentless sort. Plus my zombie virus also infects animals. Queen Victoria, Dickens and Wells have zombiecameos. Some of the action is set in London, some in Australia, this latter on the RISK(tm) principle that Australia would be the last place in the world to succumb to the plague.

6. Liz Says:
    July 7th, 2009 at 11:22 am

This is made out of win - can't wait. About time Scrooze got a make-over and not the Disney Donald Duck one either.

Looking forward to it!