Vote Early and Vote Often

By Adam Roberts | April 7, 2011
Categories: Events and Appearances

Click to embiggen. (Hint: bottom right hand corner. That's right! Gollancz has been publishing since AD 196! Appropriately enough, that was the 'Year of the Consulship of Dexter and Messalla'; which explains why Orion publish all the Dexter books).

No, wait: you're looking in the wrong bottom right hand corner ... [Link]

13 Responses to “Vote Early and Vote Often”

1. Rich Puchalsky Says:
    April 7th, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Someone at Gollancz might want to familiarize themselves with Web 1.0, much less 2.0. You'd think that the site would let you discuss the books, or at least vote and see how other people have voted. But all that it does is attempt to shunt you off to an Email list.

The list itself points out how fragmented the marketing category is. I've read more classic fantasy/SF than most fans, I'd guess. But I've only read 25 of those books, even rounding up given the dubious status of some of those titles. (There's a book called just "Elric"? Really? I guess it's a compilation of the six classic Elric books, without the later, contemporary ones, or the one with him at the End of Time, etc. etc.)

April 7th, 2011 at 3:09 pm

Rich: Apparently the adverts went out sooner than VG thought they would; the actual site should go live 'later today'.

25 is a pretty good hit rate, I'd say.

3. Gareth Rees Says:
    April 7th, 2011 at 5:18 pm

Presumably The Female Men is Joanna Russ's lesser known sequel to The Female Man. Can't wait to read it!

("Elric" is Gollancz Fantasy Masterworks #17: The Stealer of Souls plus Stormbringer.)

April 7th, 2011 at 5:38 pm

My embiggenclicked image says 'Female Man'. But I must say: I like the idea of a sequel to the Russ title! 'The Female Superman'! 'Female Son of the Female Man'!

5. Rich Puchalsky Says:
    April 7th, 2011 at 7:10 pm

I think they got The Female Man right. But they missed the comma in Little, Big.

Which of these haven't I read? I suspect that G. is using a lot of classics to try to up the sales of some of its recent stuff. I'll try to match the first ten ones I haven't read with authors/dates.

Classics
    Beauty -- Sheri Tepper, I really should have read this by now.

Older books I've never heard of and that probably were minor
    The Book of Skulls, Robert Silverberg, 1972

Modern books that I've heard of and that really were minor
    Fevre Dream, George R.R. Martin, 2004

Modern books which I've never heard of
    Best Served Cold, Joe Abercrombie, 2009
    Brasyl, Ian McDonald, 2009
    Dead Until Dark, Charlaine Harris (?), 2001 (could be another book with same title for all I know)
    The Final Empire (probably Brandon Sanderson, 2009)

Unidentifiable
    Eric (is this the Terry Pratchett? If so, I've read it. But why pick such a non-identifiable Pratchett title?)
    Fairyland (yay generic title)
    Flood (yeah another generic title)

I guess that I'm less surprised now that I haven't read half of these.

6. Gareth Rees Says:
    April 7th, 2011 at 8:37 pm

The Female Men is the spelling used in the poll. I imagine it as a kind of crossover with The New Men: a group of women are trying to build a feminist utopia, but bureaucratic obstruction and lack of resources cause the project to stagnate. Then they discover that a feminist utopia has been built in secret elsewhere, meaning that their life's work has been wasted.

7. Gareth Rees Says:
    April 7th, 2011 at 8:46 pm

Rich, if you click through to the poll you'll see the authors. Eric is indeed by Pratchett; I imagine that Gollancz are a bit limited in choice here, because Pratchett switched to Corgi in 1997. Fairyland is by Paul McAuley, and Flood is by Stephen Baxter.

8. Gareth Rees Says:
    April 7th, 2011 at 8:52 pm

I'm surprised to see nothing by Ian Watson on the list. When I was a kid, I picked up everything in my local library that came in the distinctive yellow Gollancz covers that signalled "science fiction", and Watson was one of the more interesting authors I discovered like that.

The Book of Skulls is not bad. Silverberg went through a purple patch in the late 1960s/early 1970s (after his early period in pulp and before he started writing big fantasy potboilers), with a string of interesting and mildly experimental novels. A career trajectory not unlike Moorcock or Aldiss.

April 7th, 2011 at 8:55 pm

Rich: I'd stick my neck out for Fairyland as one of the great SF novels of the last 50 years. But, yes, some of the choices on this list are constrained by what Gollancz have the rights to publish: it't not a completely free vote.

Gareth: how are you getting to the online poll? When I click the link (in my post, or in your comment) it just takes to me to VG countdown clock and the chance to register -- which, when I do it, just takes me to a page saying thanks for registering.

10. Gareth Rees Says:
    April 7th, 2011 at 9:21 pm

I just go to gollancz50.com and I'm there. Clear your cookies, maybe?

April 7th, 2011 at 9:31 pm

Ah! Got it -- thanks.

12. Rich Puchalsky Says:
    April 7th, 2011 at 9:36 pm

Yes, the poll seems to have appeared when I go to the page now. I loyally voted for YBT, though if dead authors needed support as much as living ones do ... well, PKD, Herbert, Stapledon, and Wells don't, at any rate. :)

I got back an Email that thanked me for voting for YBT and didn't mention Little, Big at all, which was my choice for the fantasy part. Hmm. Is the page only picking up the first choice? It said to vote for one of each. And "the rest of Adam Roberts' stunning Science Fiction novels" that the Email advertises are The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, The Soddit, and The Va Dinci Cod. Anyone who buys those looking for SF is going to be a bit surprised.

April 7th, 2011 at 9:39 pm

Thanks, Rich! Though I would be mightily surprised if I made the top ten out of these fifty. And the automatic email sounds a bit screwy, certainly.

Comments